Sunday, February 1, 2009

Forgiveness

An almost magical enabler and facilitator of dialogue ... is the simple request: "Will you forgive me?" The beginning of most human rifts that sabotage love and dialogue is what I call a "wounded spirit." ... We can then easily be trapped in a getting-even game, a back and forth contest. When this begins, the lines of communication are down, the relationship is bleeding, and their is great need of healing....
What I am suggesting here is that most ailing relationships can be restored to health almost miraculously by this simple but sincere request: "Will you forgive me?" In asking the question, I am not assuming all blame. I am not deciding who was right and who was wrong. I am simple asking you to take me back into your love from which I have been separated. The acknowledged need for forgiveness is the most effective means of restoration for wounded spirits. No relationship should go for very long without it.

Quiet Moments With John Powell, S. J.

No comments: