Sunday, November 30, 2008

Tom's Story Ends Beautifully

Tom had to endure three years and three months of chemo for his protocol. While the first year was the hardest, he had to take a lot of steroid pills. He was constantly monitored closely for any signs of relapse. He finished up his protocol with a few glitches along the way. At the end, he was still in remission and has remained so for fifteen years. I will say that it did alter his personality. The kid who exuded so much self confidence began to think people could see him and know something was wrong with him. He was self conscious about his scar from his central line and actually told a few kids he had been shot. He missed an entire year of school and while he was gone they made a videotape for him. He was thrilled when it arrived and suddenly he turned white. A kid in one room said "We're making this for Tom? I thought he died." His friends visits were fewer and fewer. Some of the other high school juniors asked me if leukemia were contagious. He did meet other teens with cancer and went to a camp with them. He loved that. They also went to DisneyWorld together. He stayed in touch with some for several years but now he doesn't any longer. He also does not go in for checkups. He says if he is sick he will go but he doesn't need the constant monitoring. It was hard when he first stopped the chemo. I was having anxiety attacks. I felt as long as he had the chemo it was a safety net. Tom was thrilled at first but later began to worry which manifested itself in different worries. We slowly lost touch with the other families. I stay in touch with my friend Paula and the mother of another teen who survived against very bad odds. Her son just recently got married.
I know now that whatever happens to Tom is in God's hands. I believe that Tom was meant to survive this. I have been asked by other mothers why do I think that some children lived while others didn't. I cannot answer that except to say I believe for some reason Tom was meant to live. He had more complications than almost any other patient and each time he survived it. Tom has a deeply strong belief that God spared his life. He is a very good and compassionate person. He makes sandwiches and takes them to homeless people who live under a boardwalk. He has given them his winter coat at times. He has a totally different way of looking at things. Making money is not as important to him as perhaps it should be. He likes to spend his time doing things he loves. Like me, he understands that we are only here for a span of time. He wants to savor all the moments that he can. He knows the price he paid for that opportunity. Sometimes I think he is a hero.

No comments: